I practice law as a member of the Law Society of Ontario. I have a wide and varied practice, applying the general principles of administrative law to subject-matters as diverse as prisons and pensions, in English and in French. This practice ranges from litigation through general advisory work (including expert reports) to detailed reviews of decision-making procedures. Some of this is public (as detailed below) but often is confidential.
Here is some recent representative litigation work:
- Counsel for the Law Society of Saskatchewan at the Supreme Court of Canada, having successfully sought leave to appeal from Abrametz v. Law Society of Saskatchewan, 2020 SKCA 81.
- Counsel for the intervener British Columbia Civil Liberties Association at the Supreme Court of Canada in the appeal from R. v. Sullivan, 2020 ONCA 333.
- Counsel for the intervener Immigration and Refugee Board at the Federal Court of Appeal in Abel c. Canada (Citoyenneté et Immigration), 2021 CAF 131.
- Counsel for the applicant in Justice of the Peace Julie Lauzon v. Justices of the Peace Review Council, DC-21-2630 (on reserve).
- Advised counsel for Senator Michael Duffy at the Ontario Court of Appeal in Duffy v. Senate of Canada, 2020 ONCA 536.
- Advised counsel for Bell Canada and the National Football League at the Supreme Court of Canada in Bell Canada v. Canada (Attorney General), 2019 SCC 66.
- Advised counsel for the intervener Coalition for Gun Control at the Supreme Court of Canada in Quebec (Attorney General) v. Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 14,  1 SCR 693.
Here is some recent representative opinion work:
- Advised the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission on an issue relating to recusal.
- Expert witness for the Civil Resolution Tribunal in Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia v. British Columbia (Attorney General), 2021 BCSC 348.
- Advised the Immigration and Refugee Board on its Quality Assurance Framework.
- Advised Canadian Heritage and Innovation, Science and Development Canada on reforms to the Copyright Board of Canada.
- Assisted Professor Peter Oliver in the production of an expert report for the Attorney General of Canada in Motard c. Canada (Procureur général), 2016 QCCS 588; 2019 QCCA 1826.
Please do get in touch if you have a matter you believe I could help with.
This content has been updated on August 8, 2021 at 13:47.