Legal Practice & Consulting
I practice law as a member of the Law Society of Ontario. I have a wide and varied practice, applying the general principles of administrative law to subject-matters as diverse as prisons and pensions, in English and in French. This practice ranges from litigation through general advisory work (including expert reports) to detailed reviews of decision-making procedures. Some of this is public (as detailed below) but often is confidential.
Here is some recent representative litigation work:
Supreme Court of Canada
- Counsel for the appellant Law Society of Saskatchewan at the Supreme Court of Canada in Law Society of Saskatchewan v. Abrametz, 2022 SCC 29, having successfully sought leave to appeal from Abrametz v. Law Society of Saskatchewan, 2020 SKCA 81.
- Counsel for the intervener Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers at the Supreme Court of Canada in Mason v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2023 SCC 21.
- Counsel for the intervener British Columbia Civil Liberties Association at the Supreme Court of Canada in R. v. Sullivan, 2022 SCC 19.
- Counsel for the proposed appellant at the Supreme Court of Canada in United Nurses of Alberta v. Alberta Health Services, 2021 ABCA 194.
- Counsel for the proposed appellant at the Supreme Court of Canada in Canadian National Railway Company v. Canada (Transportation Agency), 2021 FCA 173.
- Advised counsel for Bell Canada and the National Football League at the Supreme Court of Canada in Bell Canada v. Canada (Attorney General), 2019 SCC 66.
- Advised counsel for the intervener Coalition for Gun Control at the Supreme Court of Canada in Quebec (Attorney General) v. Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 14,  1 SCR 693.
Other appellate litigation
- Counsel to the respondent in Abrametz v. Law Society of Saskatchewan, 2023 SKCA 114.
- Amicus curiae to the Federal Court of Appeal in Société Radio-Canada v. Canada (Attorney General), 2023 FCA 131.
- Counsel for the appellant Julie Lauzon in Justice of the Peace Julie Lauzon v. Justices of the Peace Review Council, 2023 ONCA 425.
- Counsel for the intervener Immigration and Refugee Board at the Federal Court of Appeal in Abel c. Canada (Citoyenneté et Immigration), 2021 CAF 131.
- Advised counsel for Senator Michael Duffy at the Ontario Court of Appeal in Duffy v. Senate of Canada, 2020 ONCA 536.
- Advised counsel for the plaintiff Scott McAnsh at the Ontario Superior Court in McAnsh v. Ontario, 2023 ONSC 3537.
- Advised counsel for the applicant Elsie Flette at the Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench in Flette et al. v. The Government of Manitoba et al., 2022 MBQB 104.
Here is some recent representative opinion and advisory work:
- Part of a team advising on the implementation of an independent decision-making structure in carceral institutions.
- Conducted an expert, independent assessment of decision-making for a federal administrative tribunal.
- Created a statutory interpretation framework for use by a provincial regulator.
- Advised an expert federal regulator on issues relating to bias and recusal.
- Acted as an expert witness for the Civil Resolution Tribunal in Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia v. British Columbia (Attorney General), 2021 BCSC 348, 2022 BCCA 163.
- Advised the Immigration and Refugee Board on its Quality Assurance Framework.
- Conducted an expert, independent assessment of decision-making for a federal quasi-judicial decision-maker.
- Advised Canadian Heritage and Innovation, Science and Development Canada on reforms to the Copyright Board of Canada.
- Assisted Professor Peter Oliver in the production of an expert report for the Attorney General of Canada in Motard c. Canada (Procureur général), 2016 QCCS 588; 2019 QCCA 1826.
Please do get in touch if you have a matter you believe I could help with.
This content has been updated on October 13, 2023 at 21:09.