Legal Practice & Consulting
I practice law as a member of the Law Society of Ontario. I have a wide and varied practice, applying the general principles of administrative law to subject-matters as diverse as prisons and pensions, in English and in French. This practice ranges from litigation through general advisory work (including expert reports) to detailed reviews of decision-making procedures. Some of this is public (as detailed below) but often is confidential.
Here is some recent representative litigation work:
- Counsel for the Law Society of Saskatchewan at the Supreme Court of Canada, having successfully sought leave to appeal from Abrametz v. Law Society of Saskatchewan, 2020 SKCA 81.
- Counsel for the intervener British Columbia Civil Liberties Association at the Supreme Court of Canada in the appeal from R. v. Sullivan, 2020 ONCA 333.
- Counsel for the intervener Immigration and Refugee Board at the Federal Court of Appeal in Abel c. Canada (Citoyenneté et Immigration), 2021 CAF 131.
- Counsel for the proposed appellant at the Supreme Court of Canada in United Nurses of Alberta v. Alberta Health Services, 2021 ABCA 194.
- Counsel for the proposed appellant at the Supreme Court of Canada in Canadian National Railway Company v. Canada (Transportation Agency), 2021 FCA 173.
- Counsel for the proposed appellant in Justice of the Peace Julie Lauzon v. Justices of the Peace Review Council, 2021 ONSC 6174 (motion for leave to appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal filed).
- Advised counsel for Senator Michael Duffy at the Ontario Court of Appeal in Duffy v. Senate of Canada, 2020 ONCA 536.
- Advised counsel for Bell Canada and the National Football League at the Supreme Court of Canada in Bell Canada v. Canada (Attorney General), 2019 SCC 66.
- Advised counsel for the intervener Coalition for Gun Control at the Supreme Court of Canada in Quebec (Attorney General) v. Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 14,  1 SCR 693.
Here is some recent representative opinion work:
- Conducted an expert, independent assessment of decision-making for a federal administrative tribunal.
- Advised the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission on an issue relating to recusal.
- Acted as an expert witness for the Civil Resolution Tribunal in Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia v. British Columbia (Attorney General), 2021 BCSC 348.
- Advised the Immigration and Refugee Board on its Quality Assurance Framework.
- Conducted an expert, independent assessment of decision-making for a federal quasi-judicial decision-maker.
- Advised Canadian Heritage and Innovation, Science and Development Canada on reforms to the Copyright Board of Canada.
- Assisted Professor Peter Oliver in the production of an expert report for the Attorney General of Canada in Motard c. Canada (Procureur général), 2016 QCCS 588; 2019 QCCA 1826.
Please do get in touch if you have a matter you believe I could help with.
This content has been updated on January 19, 2022 at 16:09.